The Tax Group at Cassels brings knowledge, insight and innovation to both the technical and practical aspects of taxation to provide effective advice on a wide range of issues and transactions that are important to our clients and their business.
We pride ourselves on servicing a diverse local, national and international client base, including large public corporations, partnerships and REITs, private corporations, financial institutions, private equity funds, professional service firms and domestic and foreign governmental agencies.
Cassels tax lawyers are recognized for our broad, practical and in-depth expertise in:
- Domestic and international mergers, acquisitions, reorganizations and spin-offs
- Foreign investment and business expansion into Canada
- Securities matters, including all public and private offerings and “going public” transactions
- Executive and employee compensation plans
- Cross-border employment issues, including the drafting of secondment agreements, advising on the application of tax treaties and on the allocation of equity-based compensation between jurisdictions
- Domestic and international tax dispute resolution, including assistance on all aspects of audits, appeals and settlement negotiations as well as “mutual agreement procedures” under international tax treaties
- Tax litigation at all levels of court on domestic and international tax treaty issues
- Sales and commodity tax issues
- Estate planning including cross-border planning and domestic and foreign charitable planning
Clients engage the Tax Group at Cassels with confidence that they will benefit from an interdisciplinary team that understands their business from all relevant perspectives and that strives to integrate the necessary tax advice in a seamless and practical manner. We have also been sought out by the Department of National Revenue and the Department of Finance for contributions to the development of tax policy and tax legislation.