The Private Equity team at Cassels has extensive experience, industry knowledge and relationships to strategically advise clients on all elements of private equity transactions. Our fully integrated and multi-disciplinary team of M&A, tax, restructuring, competition/foreign investment regulation, debt financing, franchise, intellectual property and other specialty practice lawyers deliver effective and efficient execution. We have wide-ranging experience advising on domestic and cross-border buy-outs, investments, co-investments, fund formation, debt restructuring and secondary transactions. Our clients include international and domestic private equity funds, company management, family offices, search funds, portfolio companies, and alternative asset funds. As a mid-market private equity leader, our Private Equity lawyers consistently provides high quality deliverables along with world class service.
Private equity is a fast-paced and dynamic sector and our practice continues to expand to meet our clients’ needs. Our entrepreneurial lawyers represent clients throughout the private equity industry on a range of transactions – from fund formation and fund raising, through acquisitions and recapitalizations to dispositions and exits.
Specific mandates that our Private Equity team has been involved with include:
- Acting for a European-based private equity fund on the Canadian aspects of its world-wide acquisition of a consumer goods company
- Representing one of the largest growers, packers and marketers of greenhouse vegetables in North America, in their partnership with one of the Canada’s leading private equity firms
- Acting for one of Canada’s premier private equity investors, as part of a group, that acquired the largest manufacturer of impact extruded aluminium containers in the world
- Acting for a global private equity investment fund on the acquisition of limited partnership interests in various private equity funds from a Canadian financial institution
- Acting on behalf of both the senior and subordinated lenders in a significant financing of an acquisition by a US-based private equity fund of a manufacturing business based in Atlantic Canada
- Representing various sponsor groups on the fund formation and launch of various funds, including several significant real estate funds.
- Acting for a US-based private equity fund in the acquisition, implementation of its growth strategy and ultimate disposition of a Canadian farm group
- Representing a US-based private equity fund on the Canadian aspects of its world-wide acquisition of a chemical company
- Acting for a portfolio company of a Canadian mid-market private equity fund on its recent acquisition in furtherance of its growth strategy
- Acting for a worldwide private equity firm with over $8 billion under management in the acquisition of several portfolio companies
- Representing management in its partnership with a North American based private equity fund
- Representing private equity lenders in connection with a unitranche term loan to finance an acquisition