Jason (Jake) Bullen is a partner in the Business Law Group at Cassels and serves as Co-Chair of the firm’s Private Equity Group. Jake’s practice focuses on mergers and acquisitions, financings, strategic advice, corporate re-organizations and complex commercial agreements, with a significant cross-border component. He advises private equity funds, large Canadian, US & international companies and emerging companies on corporate transactions (such as M&A and financings) and commercial agreements. Jake also provides strategic advice on matters such as multi-jurisdictional structuring and corporate governance. His clients include private equity funds, hedge funds, family offices, investment banks, athletes, artists and innovative providers of goods and services in retail, consumer goods, food & beverage, manufacturing and distribution, financial services, technology, FinTech, AI, waste management, real estate, sports, entertainment and cleantech/renewable energy.
Jake’s experience includes representing:
- PerfectServe, a portfolio company owned by K1 Investment Management LLC, in its acquisition of SmartPager Systems Inc. d/b/a Telmediq
- Mucci Farms, a Canadian leader in greenhouse produce, in connection with an investment by NOVACAP
- The management of PRT Growing Services Ltd. In connection with an investment by TriWest Capital Partners
- A leading TSX-listed software company on the acquisition of a provider of digital financial services platforms to mobile operators in the Middle East, Africa and the Americas
- An advanced manufacturing company (with operations in Shanghai) in connection with a strategic transaction
- Armstrong World Industries in connection with the spin-off of Armstrong Flooring, Inc. (US$1.2 billion of revenue)
- A Canadian retail chain with respect to corporate governance matters
- Canadian Tire Corporation, Limited in connection with the IPO of CT Real Estate Investment Trust
Well-regarded for his management of large deal teams and his ability for advance deals to closing, Jake provides clients a seamless solution when multi-faceted transactions require expertise from other disciplines, such as consumer product safety, tax, employment and litigation. His significant in-house experience includes his appointment as interim Associate General Counsel of Canadian Tire and the completion of a secondment with Rogers Communications. Jake holds his Canadian Securities Course designation and has worked in the equity and derivatives division of a national investment firm.