Douglas (Doug) Richardson* is a partner with the Taxation Group at Cassels. Doug’s practice focuses on the areas of domestic and international energy related transactions and investments, mergers and acquisitions, corporate reorganizations and cross-border private equity investments. He has provided tax advice to a number of public and private companies, including multinational, domestic and foreign-owned companies, public utilities, and corporations engaged in the power generation and pipeline business, foreign asset income trusts, and other investment vehicles, and has received advance income tax rulings and legislative amendments where appropriate. Doug has also provided advice to domestic and international energy clients with respect to internal tax matters, the acquisition and disposition of oil sands, midstream and pipeline assets and the development of LNG projects. Doug participated in the Business and Investment Advisory Committee meetings with the OECD regarding the tax treatment of allowances and tradable permits.
Doug’s representative experience includes acting for:
- Canadian Natural Resources Limited in its $3.775 billion acquisition of Devon Canada Corporation
- AGT Food and Ingredients Inc. in the completion of its plan of arrangement
- TransCanada in connection with the issuance of US$1.2 billion and US$750 million of Trust notes by TransCanada Trust
- OceanaGold Corporation in connection with its $856 million acquisition of all of the shares of Romarco Minerals Inc.
- TriWest Capital Partners in the $172 million sale of Gardewine Group Limited Partnership to Mullen Group Ltd.
*denotes Professional Corporation