Douglas (Doug) Richardson* is a partner with, and Co-Chair of, the Taxation Group at Cassels. Doug’s practice focuses on the areas of domestic and international energy related transactions and investments, mergers and acquisitions, corporate reorganizations and cross-border private equity investments. He has provided tax advice to a number of public and private companies, including multinational, domestic and foreign-owned companies, public utilities, and corporations engaged in the power generation and pipeline business, foreign asset income trusts, and other investment vehicles, and has received advance income tax rulings and legislative amendments where appropriate. Doug has also provided advice to domestic and international energy clients with respect to internal tax matters, the acquisition and disposition of oil sands, midstream and pipeline assets and the development of LNG projects. Doug participated in the Business and Investment Advisory Committee meetings with the OECD regarding the tax treatment of allowances and tradable permits.
Doug’s representative experience includes acting for:
- Lundin Mining Corporation in its acquisition of Josemaria Resources Inc. for an implied equity value of $625 million
- Standard Lithium Ltd. in its US$100 million strategic investment from Koch Strategic Platforms
- The vendors in Cloudworks Consulting Services Inc.’s acquisition by Accenture Inc.
- Calima Energy Ltd. in its acquisition of Blackspur Oil Corp.
- EHC Global in its $130 million sale to Prysmian Group
- Liberty Oilfield Services Inc. in the contribution of Schlumberger’s onshore hydraulic fracturing business in the United States and Canada to Liberty
- Calibre Mining Corp. in its acquisition of Fiore Gold Ltd. to create a diversified, Americas-focused, growing mid-tier gold producer
- Quantum Energy Partners in the sale of Kicking Horse Oil & Gas Ltd. to Whitecap Resources Inc.
- Canadian Natural Resources Limited in its $3.775 billion acquisition of the assets of Devon Canada Corporation
- AGT Food and Ingredients Inc. in the completion of its plan of arrangement
- TransCanada in connection with the issuance of US$1.2 billion and US$750 million of Trust notes by TransCanada Trust
- OceanaGold Corporation in connection with its $856 million acquisition of all of the shares of Romarco Minerals Inc.
- TriWest Capital Partners in the $172 million sale of Gardewine Group Limited Partnership to Mullen Group Ltd.
*denotes Professional Corporation