Lara Jackson (she/her/hers) is a partner in the Litigation Group at Cassels and is the Co-Chair of the firm’s Securities Litigation Group. Lara has an active and varied commercial litigation practice with particular expertise in class actions and securities litigation. Lara brings a strategic, analytical and practical approach to the most complicated disputes, while maintaining her focus on achieving resolution as efficiently as possible. Lara has represented clients in a broad range of commercial cases involving proxy contests, takeover bids, contested plans of arrangement, shareholder disputes, oppression remedies, insolvency disputes and securities and competition class actions. Lara also regularly represents market participants in Canadian and cross-border civil and regulatory proceedings involving alleged securities act violations. Lara is recognized as a leader in her field by Best Lawyers in Canada, Benchmark Litigation (as one of the top 100 women in litigation in Canada) and Chambers Canada, in which clients note that Lara is an “excellent tactician” and a “very analytical and thoughtful litigator” who does an “‘excellent job’ of defending clients’ interests.” In 2022, Lara was elected to a four-year term as a Director of The Advocates’ Society.
Lara’s representative work includes:
- Defending issuers and individual directors and officers in securities class actions
- Defending financial institutions in price fixing competition class actions
- Representing market participants in securities regulatory proceedings
- Representing issuers and individual directors and officers in complex commercial litigation disputes
- Representing bidders and targets in hostile takeover bid litigation
- Representing issuers and stakeholders in contested plans of arrangement