Frank Robinson* is a partner in the Franchise Law and Business Law Groups at Cassels and serves as Co-Chair of the firm’s Hospitality Group. Frank practises business law, with a focus on franchising, licensing, distribution and intellectual property. He also provides counsel on mergers and acquisitions, and general corporate, commercial and contractual matters. Frank advises Canadian and international companies on all matters relating to franchising, licensing and distribution including structuring and expansion strategies, legal and regulatory issues, contract drafting and negotiation, and compliance with Canadian franchise disclosure legislation. Frank has worked with a broad range of product and service distribution, franchise and retail companies, from local startups to international and global corporations, and in industries as diverse as financial services, oil and gas, energy, hospitality and hotels, food and beverage, personal and fitness services, commercial and residential services, apparel, consumer goods, automotive, telecommunications, software and robotics, childcare and education, construction and technical services, health and elder care, cannabis, and others.
Frank strives to provide real-time and practical advice on Canadian franchise law, including on matters relating to the following:
- Drafting and updating of franchise agreements and franchise disclosure documents for single unit or area development, master franchising, joint-venture franchising and other expansion programs
- Negotiating all manner of franchise agreements and domestic and international franchise transactions
- Adaptation of foreign franchise documentation and franchise programs for use in Canada
- Advising on the purchase and sale of individual franchises, and franchise systems as a whole
- Advising on franchise system changes and franchise relationship management
- Providing legal compliance training and ongoing advisory functions throughout all stages of franchise expansion
- Advising on refranchising and buy-back transactions for franchise units
- Managing and advising on franchise disputes
Frank is listed as a leading practitioner in franchise law by Chambers Canada, Lexpert, Who’s Who Legal and Best Lawyers in Canada. In 2017, he received a Lexpert “Rising Star” award, honouring Canada’s leading lawyers under 40.
*denotes Professional Corporation