Charles Newman is a partner serving as Co-Chair of the Banking & Specialty Finance Group at Cassels. Charles’ practice focuses on all types of secured and unsecured lending transactions, including cross-border transactions, project/infrastructure financings, syndicated loan transactions, asset-based and real estate-based lending matters. Charles also does extensive work in the subordinated and convertible debt areas (representing both borrowers and lenders) and in treasury management. He is recognized as a leader in his field by such authorities as the Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, Best Lawyers in Canada, and Chambers Canada which notes that clients commend Charles’ “attention to detail, accuracy and problem-solving skills.”
In addition, Charles acts for Canadian and US-based private equity funds in connection with their cross-border investments in equity, quasi-equity, and qualified debt obligations. He also routinely acts on behalf of numerous lenders, borrowers, and receivers in connection with special account, work-out related, security enforcement and receivership files in an insolvency and restructuring context.
A few examples of Charles’ notable work include acting for:
- Wendy’s Restaurants of Canada in connection with the sale by Wendy’s Funding, LLC of US$950 million of secured notes
- New Gold Inc. with the refinancing of its $400 million senior secured credit facilities
- Granite Real Estate Investment Trust in its $480 million term credit facilities
- The agent and the term lenders to Sears Canada Inc. in connection with a US$300 million secured syndicated DIP credit facility
- The Federal Government of Canada, through the Ministry of Natural Resources, in connection with its credit substitution guarantee of the $6.3 billion project financing for the Muskrat Falls and Maritime Link portions of the Lower Churchill River hydro electric projects