Charles (Chuck) Rich* is a partner at Cassels, serves as Chair of the firm’s Financial Services Group, and is a member of the firm’s top-ranked Cannabis Group. Chuck’s practice focuses on secured and unsecured loan transactions and debt restructurings. He offers expertise in corporate and commercial lending, including syndicated financings, acquisition financing, leveraged buyouts, asset-based lending, subordinate debt/first lien/second lien financings, cross-border transactions, receivables financing, special project financings (including trusts, partnership and limited partnerships), and scientific research and experimental development financing. Chuck acts for domestic banks, corporations, financial sponsors, family offices, as well as many foreign financial institutions. In addition, he acts as Canadian Counsel to numerous foreign law firms. Chuck’s practice also includes security enforcement, workouts and insolvency/debt restructurings for financial institution and corporate clients.
Chuck’s recent experience includes acting for:
- Canopy Growth Corporation (TSX: WEED; NYSE: CGC) in its offering of 4.25% convertible senior notes due 2023 in an aggregate principal amount of $500 million
- An ad hoc committee of debtholders in a recapitalization transaction involving the exchange of approximately US$404 million of secured debt for common shares of the reorganized company and US$75 million in take-back debt pursuant to a new secured credit facility – the transaction was implemented pursuant to a plan of arrangement under the Canada Business Corporations Act
- A Canadian Chartered Bank on a $296 million syndicated financing in favour of a leading seniors housing company
- HSBC Bank Canada: Advising as administrative agent and the lenders on a US$510 million syndicated financing to Spin Master Ltd. and its subsidiaries in France, Hong Kong, Luxembourg, Mexico, United Kingdom and the United States
- IBI Group: Advising in connection with this global architecture, planning, engineering and technology firm’s syndicated credit facility and convertible debt issuance
- A Canadian Chartered Bank on a $121 million syndicated financing in favour of a steel fabricator and service provider
- Fiera Capital on a combination first lien/second lien financing
Chuck is recognized as a leader in his field by such authorities as Chambers Canada, Lexpert, and Best Lawyers and has completed the Osgoode Certificate in Cannabis Law and Regulation.
*denotes Professional Corporation