Shayne Kukulowicz is a partner in the Banking, Lending & Specialty Finance Group at Cassels and serves as Chair of the firm’s Restructuring & Insolvency Group. Shayne’s practice is focused on structured transactions, corporate reorganizations and commercial restructurings. He offers significant expertise in cross-border restructurings and liquidations, formal and informal corporate reorganizations, as well as security enforcement and creditor remedies. Consistently recognized as a leading lawyer in the insolvency and restructuring arenas, Shayne is a frequent lecturer and presenter on insolvency-related matters for the Law Society of Ontario, the Ontario Bar Association, and other professional conference providers.
Shayne’s representative work includes acting for:
- The Monitor of Rothmans Benson & Hedges in its CCAA proceedings running in parallel with the Canadian filings of Imperial Tobacco and JTI-MacDonald
- Connacher Oil & Gas in its reorganization under the CCAA
- The Official Creditors’ Committee in the Nortel cross border proceedings
- The Monitor of Toys R Us Canada
- Index Energy in its successful CCAA proceedings
- FTI in its capacity as receiver of properties related to the Trump International Hotel & Tower (Toronto)
- Tenor Capital Management as DIP lender to Crystallex International Corporation in its CCAA/Chapter 15
- H.B. White Canada Corp. in its successful reorganization under the CCAA
Shayne is a member of the Insolvency Institute of Canada, the Ontario Bar Association – Insolvency Section, and INSOL International – the International Association of Restructuring, Insolvency & Bankruptcy Professionals.