John M. Picone (he/him/his) is the Chair of the firm’s Advocacy Practice and Co-Chair of the firm’s Securities Litigation Group. His practice focuses on complex securities, corporate, and commercial litigation, with an emphasis on shareholder disputes, class actions, and securities-related regulatory proceedings and investigations. John takes a strategic, analytical, and practical approach to highly complicated disputes, while focusing on business needs and the big picture. He has extensive experience representing public and private companies, directors and senior executives, and shareholders in the financial services, cannabis, infrastructure, and mining sectors. John has appeared as counsel before the Supreme Court of Canada, the Court of Appeal for Ontario, the Ontario Superior Court of Justice, and the Ontario Capital Markets Tribunal. He is also a member of the Ontario Capital Markets Tribunal’s Securities Proceedings Advisory Committee, which provides comments and advice on a variety of policy and procedural initiatives relating to proceedings before the tribunal.
John has recently acted for the following clients:
- Directors and officers of public and private companies in complex oppression proceedings and related litigation before the Ontario Superior Court of Justice
- Companies and individuals in high-stakes regulatory and review proceedings before the Ontario Capital Markets Tribunal and the British Columbia Securities Commission
- Applicants and court-appointed officers in complex restructuring proceedings
- Numerous public companies and hedge funds in the cannabis sector in proceedings before the Ontario Superior Court of Justice and at arbitration
- Public companies in the mining sector, and their directors and officers, in securities class actions before the Ontario Superior Court of Justice and the Court of Appeal for Ontario