Cathy Mercer is a partner in the Securities Group at Cassels. Cathy practises in the area of corporate and commercial law with a strong emphasis on mining law, mergers and acquisitions and the servicing of public companies and general securities work. She has extensive knowledge in drafting and negotiating mining royalty agreements, streaming agreements, option agreements and joint venture agreements. Cathy has also been engaged in transactions involving the debt financing of companies whose mines are on the verge of commercial production. Cathy has been involved in numerous reverse takeover and “shell” transactions, as well as the listing of public companies. She practices in both official languages.
Cathy’s representative work includes acting for:
- Lundin Mining in its US$1.8 billion acquisition of the Candelaria mine in Chile from Freeport-McMoran and related equity financing and metal streaming transaction
- Cartesian Capital Group in its acquisition of a gold prepayment stream and the making of an equity investment in K92 Mining, the holder of the Irumafimpa license in Papua New Guinea
- Yamana Gold in the sale of its Mercedes Mine in Mexico in exchange for cash, securities and certain royalties for aggregate consideration of $140.0 million and the sale of its Ernesto/Pau-A Pique Project in Brazil to Aura Minerals Inc. for certain securities and a 2% net smelter return royalty; and in its $17.5 million acquisition of Mega Precious Metals
- Sandstorm Gold in its acquisition of a royalty portfolio containing 56 royalties from Teck Resources Limited for US$22.0 million
- Blackstone Tactical Opportunities, an affiliate of Blackstone, in its acquisition of a minority ownership interest in the Renard diamond stream granted by Stornoway Diamond Corporation by way of a secondary market transaction with Orion Mine Finance