Marc Mercier* is a partner in the Banking & Specialty Finance Group at Cassels and serves as Chair of the firm’s Audit & Risk Management Committee. Marc’s practice places a particular emphasis on secured, unsecured and merger and acquisition financing, treasury management and financial derivatives-related matters, along with reorganizational workouts and restructurings. Marc also handles extensive financing work in the subordinated/convertible debt, venture capital and private equity areas. Since 2015, Marc has sat on the Board of Directors of ROI Fund and has previously served on the firm’s Executive Committee.
Marc’s representative experience includes having acted for:
- Planet Fitness in Canada in its $1.275 billion refinancing transaction
- Wendy’s Restaurants in Canada in its recent sale of US$1.075 billion in senior secured notes
- Summitt Energy in its multi-year extension energy supply agreements in Canada and the US
- The Federal Government of Canada in connection with the restructurings and refinancings of General Motors and Chrysler
- Harley-Davidson Canada in its renewal of syndicated bank credit facilities totalling US$500 million for a three-year term to support its and HDFS Canada’s commercial paper program and to fund its and HDFS Canada’s lending activities and other operations
Marc is the author of various articles published in legal journals and texts. He speaks frequently at derivatives, secured lending, insolvency and restructuring, and law reform conferences and bank seminars. In addition to being an adjunct faculty member of the University of Toronto Faculty of Law in the late 1990s, where he led classes in debt financing and restructuring, Marc has been an adjunct faculty member at Osgoode Hall Law School at York University since 2005, where he teaches advanced financing law in the graduate (masters level) banking programme. As a senior member of the firm’s financial services practice area, Marc is extremely active in the practice development and mentoring of both senior and junior members of his team.
In 2018, the Ontario Junior Hockey League (OJHL) honoured Marc with the Chairman’s Award, which is presented to an individual who demonstrates the core values of the OJHL including integrity, professionalism and sportsmanship. Marc also successfully climbed Mount Kilimanjaro in July of 2018.
*denotes Professional Corporation