Jeffrey Oliver* is a partner in the Restructuring & Insolvency Group at Cassels. Jeffrey routinely acts for lenders, court-appointed officials (receivers, monitors, trustees), landlords, purchasers, debtors, secured and unsecured creditors, directors, trustees, receivers and monitors. He advises clients on corporate reorganizations, bankruptcies, receiverships, foreclosures, lease realizations and loan workouts, including on cross-border insolvencies and realizations. He is also experienced in secured and unsecured financings, including interim and takeout financing within insolvency proceedings and securitization within forbearance arrangements.
Jeffrey also has extensive experience in detecting and prosecuting fraud actions, both within insolvency proceedings and in standard commercial litigation. In this regard, he has experience acting on behalf of investors, mortgage insurers, and lenders.
Jeffrey’s corporate restructuring practice is extensive and includes representing key stakeholders in a variety of different economic sectors, including:
- Interim lender in Canada North Group of Companies’ CCAA proceedings, including the Supreme Court of Canada
- Receiver in Redwater Energy Corporation, including in the landmark Supreme Court of Canada decision
- Interim lender in CCAA proceedings of Walton International Group Monitor in CCAA proceedings of Lutheran Church–Canada, the Alberta-British Columbia District and related entities
- Monitor in CCAA proceedings of Calgary Oil & Gas Group
- Plan sponsor in Delphi Energy CCAA proceedings
- Secured lender in Accel Energy CCAA proceedings and receivership
In recognition for his expertise in cross-border insolvency matters, Jeffrey has been named a Fellow of INSOL International, a worldwide federation of national associations for accountants and lawyers who specialize in turnaround and insolvency. He is recognized as a leader in his field by the Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, Chambers Canada and Best Lawyers in Canada and as an Insolvency “Litigation Star” by Benchmark Litigation. In 2018, Jeffrey received a Lexpert Zenith Award celebrating mid-career excellence. He is also a member of the Insolvency Institute of Canada.
*denotes Professional Corporation