Monique Sassi is a partner in the Restructuring & Insolvency Group at Cassels. Monique’s practice focuses on international and domestic corporate restructurings. Monique has expertise in insolvency proceedings in the retail, oil & gas, and renewable energy sectors. In addition, Monique has advised on matters involving formal and informal corporate reorganizations, enforcement of security, and unsecured creditor remedies. Monique is a member of TMA, INSOL and the South African Restructuring Association (SARIPA) and has guest lectured at the University of Windsor for the Bankruptcy and Insolvency course.
Monique’s experience includes representing:
- Ernst & Young as court-appointed monitor of Rothmans Benson & Hedges Inc.
- PricewaterhouseCoopers Inc. as court-appointed monitor of Gesco Industries Inc. et al
- Deloitte Restructuring Inc. as court-appointed Monitor of Trinity Ravine Community
- Scotch & Soda in its proposal proceedings
- Hilco Merchant Retail Solutions, Gordon Brothers Canada ULC, Tiger Asset Solutions Canada, ULC and B Riley Retail Canada Inc. as liquidator of Bed Bath & Beyond Canada
- Hilco Merchant Retail Solutions as liquidator of Nordstrom Canada
- Gordon Brothers Canada ULC as liquidator of David’s Bridal Canada
- The DIP Lender in the CCAA proceedings of Rambler Metals and Mining Canada
- KSV Restructuring Inc. as receiver of G.I. Sportz Inc.
- The Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors of Mallinckrodt PLC, et al. in connection with a cross-border litigation and insolvency proceeding
- B Riley Farber Inc. as court-appointed receiver of Mill Street & Co Inc.
- Grant Thornton as court-appointed monitor of Toys “R” Us (Canada) Ltd
- Payless ShoeSource Canada Inc. in connection with their worldwide restructuring
- The Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors of Nortel Networks Inc. and certain of its direct and indirect subsidiaries in cross-border CCAA/Chapter 11 proceedings