Joseph (Joe) Bellissimo* is a partner in the Restructuring & Insolvency Group at Cassels. Joe’s practice includes representing debtor companies, creditors, court-appointed monitors, and receivers and purchasers of distressed assets in restructuring matters. He offers experience across a broad range of industries, including mining, natural resources, energy, aviation, steel, transportation, manufacturing, retail, sports and entertainment industries. He has appeared on behalf of clients before all levels of court in restructuring and insolvency matters, including the Supreme Court of Canada. Joe serves on the Board of Directors of the Turnaround Management Association – Toronto Chapter and he has written and co-written various articles and papers in the field of restructuring and insolvency.
Joe’s representative work includes having acted for:
- Connacher Oil and Gas Limited in its CCAA proceedings
- Ernst & Young the court-appointed CCAA monitor of Rothmans Benson & Hedges Inc.
- Deloitte Restructuring Inc. the trustee in bankruptcy of Maple Financial Group Inc. and court-appointed receiver of Maple Futures Corp.
- The ad hoc group of Senior Secured Bonds in the CCAA proceedings of Great Western Minerals Group
- Certain secured lenders in the CCAA proceedings of the Canadian subsidiaries of Cliffs Natural Resources
- A secured lender in Jaguar Mining’s recapitalization through CCAA proceedings
*denotes Professional Corporation