Chris McLelland is a partner in the Business Law Group at Cassels. Chris’ practice focuses on general corporate and commercial law and transactions with an emphasis on oil & gas and renewable energy. He has experience in domestic and cross-border asset and share transactions; commercial agreements, including upstream, midstream, and downstream contracts in the oil and gas industry; and issues affecting the renewable energy industry, including solar, geothermal, hydrogen, and renewable natural gas.
Chris acts for both operators and contractors in the procurement of oilfield services and vendor management and advises in risk management. Chris also advises on insurance claims pertaining to the oil and gas industry. Chris has advised in a joint legal/technical capacity on a variety of claims, including coverage, defence, and subrogation, involving failed drilling operations. Chris also acts for clients in the development of renewable energy projects and at all stages with respect to the entering into of power purchase agreements.
Chris’ selected representative work includes acting for:
- Base Carbon Corp. and its shareholders in a reverse takeover of 1287411 B.C. Ltd. and listing on the NEO Exchange
- Base Carbon Corp. in its three-phased acquisition of Hardwick Climate Business Limited
- A syndicate of underwriters led by Desjardins Capital Markets, Clarus Securities Inc., Echelon Wealth Partners Inc., and RBC Capital Markets acting as co-lead underwriters and joint bookrunners, together with Haywood Securities Inc. and PI Financial Corp., in the initial public offering of EverGen Infrastructure Corp.
- Calima Energy Ltd. in its $48.5 million plan of arrangement with Blackspur Oil Corp.
- Calima Energy Inc. in the acquisition of compression facilities, associated pipelines, and infrastructure in the Tommy Lakes field in British Columbia, Canada
- Banded Iron US Inc., Banded Iron USA Inc., and Banded Iron Canada Inc. in the sale of assets to Southern Petroleum Laboratories, Inc.
- A Calgary-based oil and gas producer in its $118 million acquisition of oil and gas assets
- The secured creditor in the receivership of a Calgary-based oil and gas producer who was successful in its credit bid
- A foreign conglomerate in its $602 million coalbed methane acquisition and joint venture
- An insurance underwriter and prepared its response to a control of well insurance claim by an international oil and gas producer
Chris completed his J.D. degree at the University of Alberta. Before joining Cassels as an associate, Chris served as legal counsel to an engineering firm and practised in the Calgary office of another national firm.