Chris McLelland is a partner in the Business Law Group at Cassels. Chris’ practice focuses on general corporate and commercial law and transactions with an emphasis on oil & gas and renewable energy. He has experience in domestic and cross-border asset and share transactions, commercial agreements, including upstream, midstream and downstream contracts in the oil and gas industry and issues affecting the renewable energy industry, including solar, geothermal, hydrogen and renewable natural gas.
Chris acts for both operators and contractors in the procurement of oilfield services and vendor management and advises in risk management. Chris also advises on insurance claims pertaining to the oil and gas industry. Chris has advised in a joint legal/technical capacity on a variety of claims, including coverage, defence and subrogation, involving failed drilling operations.
Chris’ selected representative work includes acting for:
- Calima Energy Ltd. in its $48.5 million plan of arrangement with Blackspur Oil Corp.
- Calima Energy Inc. in the acquisition of compression facilities, associated pipelines and infrastructure in the Tommy Lakes field in British Columbia, Canada
- Banded Iron US Inc., Banded Iron USA Inc., and Banded Iron Canada Inc. in the sale of assets to Southern Petroleum Laboratories, Inc.
- A Calgary-based oil and gas producer in its $118 million acquisition of oil and gas assets
- The secured creditor in the receivership of a Calgary-based oil and gas producer who was successful in its credit bid
- A foreign conglomerate in its $602 million coalbed methane acquisition and joint venture
- An insurance underwriter and prepared its response to a control of well insurance claim by an international oil and gas producer
Chris also advised in a dispute between a Calgary-based drilling contractor and a Calgary based oil and gas producer involving a blowout and loss of rig, whose rights, and obligations were governed by the CAODC Master Daywork Contract.
Chris completed his J.D. degree at the University of Alberta before articling with a regional law firm in Alberta. Before joining Cassels as an associate, Chris served as legal counsel to an engineering firm and practised in the Calgary office of another national firm.