Daniel Cipollone* (he/him/his) is a partner in the Banking & Specialty Finance Group at Cassels and is a member of the firm’s top-ranked Private Equity, Restructuring and Cannabis Groups. He specializes in complex secured and unsecured lending transactions, including cross-border acquisition financings, sponsor leveraged buyouts, project financings and multi-jurisdictional financing transactions. His practice also includes advising clients in distressed transactions, security enforcement, workouts, and debt restructurings. His clients include domestic and foreign banks, financial institutions, sponsors and corporations, as well as law firms who retain him to assist with the Canadian aspects of multi-jurisdictional financings. For his work, Daniel is recognized as a leader in his field by Lexpert and Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch.
Daniel’s representative experience includes acting for:
- Canopy Growth Corporation (TSX: WEED; NYSE: CGC) in connection with its credit agreement with, among others, funds advised by King Street Capital Management, L.P. as the anchor lender, providing for a senior secured term loan facility in the aggregate principal amount of US$750 million, with an option to increase such facility by an additional US$500 million, if needed
- American Pacific Group, a San Francisco-based private equity firm, in connection with the financing and acquisition of 100% of the shares of Fresche Solutions Inc., a global software company based in Montreal, Quebec
- Bank of Montreal (TSX: BMO-T; NYSE: BMO) in connection with Firmex Inc.’s sponsor-backed credit facility
- Canopy Growth Corporation (TSX: WEED; NYSE: CGC) in connection with its acquisition of KeyLeaf Life Sciences
- GSO Capital Partners LP, a subsidiary of The Blackstone Group, in connection with a US$124 million unitranche term loan facility with Dominion Colour Corporation to finance, in part, the successful acquisition of LANSCO Colors LLC (formerly Landers-Segal Color Co., Incorporated)
- An ad hoc committee of debtholders in connection with a recapitalization transaction involving the exchange of approximately US$404 million of secured debt for common shares of the reorganized company and US$75 million in take-back debt pursuant to a new secured credit facility. The transaction was implemented pursuant to a plan of arrangement under the Canada Business Corporations Act
- Canopy Growth Corporation (TSX: WEED; NYSE: CGC) in connection with its offering of 4.25% convertible senior notes due 2023 in an aggregate principal amount of $500 million
- Stantec Inc. (TSX: STN; NYSE: STN) in connection with the amendment and restatement of its $1.11 billion credit facility
- IBI Group (TSX: IBG) in connection with its $130 million syndicated credit facility and $30 million bid bond credit facility
- Canso Investment Counsel Ltd., the largest first lien debtholder, in the $600 million recapitalization of Postmedia Network Inc. (PNI) pursuant to the Canada Business Corporations Act, including significant amendments to PNI’s outstanding 8.25% senior secured notes and the paydown of approximately $78 million of the First Lien Notes
Daniel received his J.D. from Osgoode Hall Law School and his M.B.A. from the Schulich School of Business in 2014. Daniel received his Bachelor of Arts (Hons.) from York University. During his studies, he received several academic awards, including the J.D./M.B.A. Hennick Scholars Award for academic excellence. Prior to joining Cassels, he summered, articled and was an associate with an international full-service law firm where he also completed a secondment with the Ontario Securities Commission.
Daniel is a presenter at Osgoode Hall’s annual Perfect Your PPSA Skills Conference. He is also a board member of the JD/MBA Alumni Association for Osgoode Hall Law School and the Schulich School of Business and has completed the Osgoode Certificate in Cannabis Law and Regulation.
*denotes Professional Corporation