Monique Sassi is an associate in the Restructuring & Insolvency and Banking & Specialty Finance Groups at Cassels. Monique’s practice focuses primarily on international and domestic corporate restructurings with a particular emphasis on cross-border commercial restructurings. Monique has expertise in insolvency proceedings in the retail, oil & gas, and renewable energy sectors. In addition, Monique has advised on matters involving financial securitization, non-insolvency restructurings with tranche financings, initial public offerings and acquisitions. She also assists with teaching the Restructuring and Insolvency Course at the University of Windsor, Ontario. Monique is a member of TMA, INSOL and the South African Restructuring Association (SARIPA).
Monique’s experience includes representing:
- The Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors of Nortel Networks Inc. and certain of its direct and indirect subsidiaries in cross-border CCAA/Chapter 11 proceedings
- The Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors of BPS US Holdings
- H.B. White Canada Corp. in connection with its CCAA proceeding and settlement of significant construction contract disputes
- Bombay Furniture Company in connection with their cross-border CCAA and Chapter 11 cases, which resulted in the sale of the Bombay Canada business as a going concern
- Xinergy Ltd. in connection with its CCAA recognition proceeding
While in law school, Monique completed a semester of law school at NYU Law School, where she completed specialized courses in US Banking Regulation and Commercial Sales. Prior to studying law in Canada, she obtained a Bachelor of Commerce with a double major in Law and Financial Accounting at the University of the Witswaterand in Johannesburg, South Africa.