Jeremy Bornstein is a partner in the Restructuring & Insolvency Group at Cassels. Jeremy’s practice focuses on corporate restructurings including both domestic and cross-border insolvencies. He represents debtors, creditors, court officers and purchasers of distressed assets. As a former member of the firm’s private company group, Jeremy frequently advises on the corporate aspects of restructurings including asset and reverse vesting sales and other distressed M&A transactions.
Jeremy’s representative work includes acting for:
- LoyaltyOne, Co. in its CCAA proceeding
- DIP Lenders and Sponsor in their purchase of the Just Energy Group through its CCAA proceedings
- Sungard Availability Services Group in its CCAA recognition proceedings
- Monitor in the Trichome Group CCAA proceedings
- Monitor in the FIGR Group CCAA and bankruptcy proceedings
- Timbercreek Asset Management Inc. in certain receivership proceedings
- MCAP Financial Corporation in the Strategic Group of Companies CCAA and receivership proceedings
- Payless Holdings LLC in connection with its Canadian liquidation
- First Lien Lenders of Walter Energy, Inc. in connection with its cross-border restructuring
Between Jeremy’s roles in the firm’s Restructuring and Private Company groups, he joined a US-based healthcare services company as a member of the executive team in the role of general counsel, where he also developed and executed on business growth strategies.
Prior to joining Cassels, Jeremy worked as a business analyst for a global management consulting firm and served as a Corporal in the Canadian Forces reserves.