Jeremy Bornstein is an associate in the Restructuring & Insolvency Group at Cassels. Jeremy’s practice focuses on corporate restructurings including both domestic and cross-border insolvencies. He represents debtor companies, creditors, court officers and purchasers of distressed assets. As a former start-up executive and management consultant, Jeremy has first-hand experience working in capital constrained environments, which helps him deliver efficient, practical advice to clients. Jeremy was also formerly a member of the firm’s private company group, where he advised on mergers and acquisitions and general corporate commercial matters, including asset and share transactions, private equity and venture capital investments, and negotiating and drafting commercial agreements.
Jeremy’s representative work includes acting for:
- Timbercreek Asset Management Inc. in certain receivership proceedings
- MCAP Financial Corporation in the Strategic Group of Companies CCAA and receivership proceedings
- Crown Capital Private Credit Fund LP for WireIE (Canada) Inc.
- B.E.S.T. Total Fund Inc. in the Accel Energy Canada Limited CCAA proceedings
- Proposal Trustee for VistaCare Communications Inc.
- Proposal Trustee for CIM Bayview Creek Inc.
- Payless Holdings LLC in connection with its Canadian liquidation
- First Lien Lenders of Walter Energy, Inc. in connection with its cross-border restructuring
- UK Pensioners in the Nortel Networks Corporation insolvency proceedings
Between Jeremy’s roles in the firm’s Restructuring and Private Company groups, he joined a US-based healthcare services company as a member of the executive team. At that company he acted as general counsel and developed and executed on business growth strategies. During Jeremy’s tenure, the company raised over $10 million in equity and debt financing and was named the #1 company on the Inc. 500 list of fastest growing companies in America for 2018 in the Healthcare category in Massachusetts.
Prior to joining Cassels, Jeremy worked as a business analyst for a global management consulting firm, as a business development consultant for a global enterprise software company and served as a Corporal in the Canadian Forces reserves.