What We’re Up To
- Since 1994, the Intellectual Property Institute of Canada and McGill University have gathered some of the top practitioners in the field of intellectual property to conduct a series of intensive, practical summer courses in intellectual property.
- This year, Jessica Zagar serves as the Course Director for the Copyright Master Class. This course is designed to provide a chance to learn from some of Canada’s copyright experts who will provide practical insights and analysis of copyright law – with a focus on the changing landscape in Canada, including legislative amendments and recent cases.
- In addition, Casey Chisick, Bernice Karn, and Jennifer McKenzie serve as faculty during this year’s program, providing their valuable insights on the following topics:
- Technological Neutrality in Copyright (Casey Chisick)
- Monetization and Exploitation of Copyright: Drafting and Negotiating Contracts (Bernice Karn)
- International (Madrid) Trademark Applications: Filing Requirements and Maintenance (Jennifer McKenzie)
- Sebastian Beck-Watt will be attending the summer program’s Copyright Master Class.
- Jennifer McKenzie and Jessica Zagar will be speaking at IPIC2022 in Whistler, BC in September. This year’s conference will focus on the intersection of ESG with intellectual property.
- Jessica Zagar and Casey Chisick will also be part of the faculty for Osgoode’s Intellectual Property Law & Technology Intensive Program in September. Jessica will be presenting on IP Rights in Fashion, and Casey will also be presenting on Copyright Collective Administration and Reform.
- Steven Kennedy will be speaking on two panels at INTA’s Trademark Administrators & Practitioner’s Meeting in Arlington, VA on September 12, 2022. His topics include Managing Large Scale Trademark Projects and Best Practices for Working Effectively with Outside Counsel and In-House Clients.
- Stephanie Roberts is co-hosting IPIC tutorials for the upcoming Trademark Agent Exam, taking place from August 12 through September 16.
- Christie Bates will be speaking at INTA’s upcoming program “Know Your Neighbor: Understanding the Differences in Trademark Law in Canada, Mexico, and the United States” on August 31
What We’ve Been Up To
- A contingent of our Intellectual Property Group including Casey Chisick, Mark Davis, Alison Hayman, Steven Kennedy, Jennifer McKenzie, Chandimal Nicholas, Stephen Selznick, Sebastian Beck-Watt, and Stephanie Roberts attended and very much enjoyed meeting with friend and colleagues – old and new – at INTA’s first Live Annual Meeting since 2019.
- The Copyright Society’s 2022 Annual Meeting also took place in person in Chicago and was attended by Casey Chisick, Eric Mayzel, and Jessica Zagar.
- Steven Kennedy spoke as a panelist on Hot Topics in IP Litigation: Rights of the Individual during a webinar hosted by the Defense Research Institute.
- Kassandra Shortt and Noble Chummar presented on intellectual property considerations for early-stage companies to a group of entrepreneurs as part of the Collision Immersion program at BHive accelerator.
- Eric Mayzel participated in the role of expert witness in the Osgoode Hall Intensive Trial Advocacy Workshop, held in July 2022.
- The Cassels Community Report reviews the progress Cassels made as a firm – alongside our contributions to our communities – in 2021. Find it here.
- On August 2, 2022, the Intellectual Property and Entertainment & Sports Groups at Cassels will sponsor a meal for Lawyers Feed the Hungry. During COVID-19, Lawyers Feed the Hungry has been unable to accept groups of volunteers and relies on donations to continue their efforts to help fight hunger in our communities. To learn more, or to donate, please visit lawyersfeedthehungry.ca.
- Steven Kennedy participated in the 2022 Lawyer Show, “And the World Goes Round,” raising funds for Nightwood Theatre, Canada’s foremost feminist theatre company.
- Lindsay Dykstra & Sebastian Beck-Watt are currently volunteering as Duty Counsel at Artists’ Legal Advice Services (ALAS).