Shaun Khullar* is a partner in the Securities Group at Cassels. Shaun practises corporate and securities law with an emphasis on corporate finance and M&A across various industries, including cannabis, mining, real estate and technology. He has significant experience in acting on behalf of issuers and investment dealers in connection with public and private financing transactions, including initial and secondary public offerings, reverse take-over transactions and private equity financings, and on behalf of acquiring and target companies in connection with public and private share purchase transactions, including by way of plan of arrangement, take-over bid and option exercise, and asset purchase transactions. Shaun regularly assists clients navigate cross-border matters in structuring their go public and acquisition transactions and has implemented various unique structures to address commercial and regulatory considerations. He also advises on regulatory compliance, continuous disclosure obligations and corporate governance and assists growth and emerging clients with various facets of their development.
Within the cannabis sector, Shaun regularly acts for multi-state operators, licensed and pre-license cultivation, manufacturing and retail companies, consumer packaged goods companies and ancillary service providers, including cannabis focused REITs and has implemented multi-class voting, Up-C, exchangeable share and other corporate structures to address commercial, securities exchange, tax and regulatory considerations.
Shaun’s representative work includes acting for:
- MedMen Enterprises Inc. in connection with its go public reverse take-over and subscription receipt financing transactions, the largest cannabis multi-state operator go public transaction at the time
- MedMen Enterprises Inc. in connection with various financing initiatives, including an aggregate of $160 million in bought deal offerings, establishment of its up to US$285 million senior secured convertible credit facility led by Gotham Green Partners, completion of its US$78 million senior secured term loan facility led by Hankey Capital, filing of its base shelf prospectus and establishment of its $60 million at-the-market equity offering program
- MedMen Enterprises Inc. in connection with its proposed US$682 million acquisition of PharmaCann, LLC, the largest acquisition transaction in the U.S. cannabis industry at the time
- Tidal Royalty Corp. in connection with its business combination with MichiCann Medical Inc. to continue as Red White & Bloom Brands Inc.
- an underwriting syndicate co-led by BMO Capital Markets and Scotiabank in connection with Ero Copper Corp.’s $110 million initial public and secondary offerings
- an underwriting syndicate led by GMP Securities L.P. in connection with Superior Gold Inc.’s $61 million initial public offering and qualification of special warrants
- TMAC Resources Inc. in connection with its $135 million initial public offering
Shaun has served on both the firm’s Student and Inclusion & Diversity Committees. Prior to pursuing his legal career, Shaun worked at a major supplier of networking equipment in the research and development of fiber-optic communication systems.
*denotes Professional Corporation