Cameron (Cam) Mingay* serves as Senior Counsel in the Securities Group at Cassels. Cam’s diverse practice encompasses M&A, securities, and corporate finance in various industries, including: cannabis, natural resources, life science, healthcare, technology, and clean tech. Cam has extensive experience acting as lead counsel to numerous public clients and serving as counsel to a number of investment dealers on corporate finance matters. Over the past several years Cam’s focus has been on the cannabis industry where he was considered to be an innovative thought leader in the cross-border cannabis sector and, according to Rolling Stone, Cam was one of a dozen of “the most influential and savvy folks in marijuana.”
Cam recently turned his focus to generating recommendations for improving ESG (Environmental, Social, Governance) practices in Canada, primarily for the purpose of attracting additional investment dollars into the clean technology sector.
A diligent and visionary leader in his streamlined approach to financings, business combinations and reverse takeovers, Cam helped clients such as Origin House strategically grow from a startup to a mid-cap company by providing sophisticated and strategic advice. Cam has applied his entrepreneurial instincts to various sectors and assisted companies in their strategic growth. Cam was the incorporating lawyer and first corporate secretary for Dell Canada. Cam advised a number of multibillion-dollar market cap companies in their formative stages, from inception through various growth phases, including: Kinross Gold, New Gold, Newmarket Gold, and WaveRider Communications. Cam also developed the corporate governance and corporate social responsibility policies appropriate to these companies’ respective stages of development.
Cam has extensive expertise in cross-border legal work. He was lead counsel on several significant cross-border acquisitions for companies in the natural resources, tech, and cannabis sectors. Cam also led a firm initiative to introduce Chinese investors to the favourable investment climate in Canada and provide them with the tools with which to successfully invest in this country’s natural resource industry. Cam is widely known for his innovative structuring ideas, which were the subject of an article in the “Art of the Deal” section of Lexpert.
Cam has served as a director for a number of companies listed on the TSX, NYSE, NASDAQ and AIM. Currently, he sits as a director and Chairman of Pond Technologies Inc. Pond’s technology converts carbon into algae, thereby creating value from emissions.
Cam’s representative work includes having acted for:
- Pond Technologies Holdings Inc. in connection with its acquisition of Regenurex Health Corporation
- Origin House in its going-public transaction
- A number of US cannabis in connection with their respective proposed go-public strategies
- Numerous multibillion natural resource companies such as Kinross Gold, New Gold, and Newmarket Gold from their respective formations, their multiple financing and billion dollar cross-border acquisitions
- Allied Nevada as an SEC registrant on various cross-border public offerings, including its US$400 million senior note offering with a cross currency interest rate swap, which was the first gold high-yield bought deal note offering in North America
*denotes Professional Corporation