Alison Hayman is a partner in the Business Law Group at Cassels and serves as Co-Chair of the firm’s Intellectual Property Group. She is also a Registered Trademark Agent. Alison advises clients on the protection, enforcement and licensing of intellectual property, with a focus on trademarks. She manages the Canadian and international trademark portfolios of a wide of range of businesses, including retailers, fashion and home décor brands, and automotive manufacturers. She regularly provides opinions on the availability of new trademarks and helps clients register marks around the world. Alison also advises on infringement matters and conducts trademark opposition proceedings before the Canadian Intellectual Property Office’s Opposition Board. She also assists with the protection of copyright, confidential information and trade secrets.
Alison frequently advises on ownership, assignment and confidentiality provisions in employment and independent contractor agreements. Her practice also includes advising on mergers & acquisitions, corporate re-organizations and other corporate transactions involving intellectual property.
Representative examples of Alison’s experience include:
- Managing the domestic and foreign trademark portfolio of one of Canada’s largest retailers, advising on branding and filing strategy, licensing, disputes and new brand acquisitions
- Acting as trademark counsel to several international fashion brands and prominent Canadian designers specializing in housewares
- Providing trademark clearance and enforcement in Canada for one of the world’s largest automotive manufacturers
- Defending a German industrial door manufacturer in Canadian trademark and copyright litigation and successfully staying the claim on the basis of an arbitration clause
- Providing strategic advice in connection with the acquisition and licensing of intellectual property in the mining sector
- Providing brand strategy and brand clearance and registration services for businesses in the cannabis sector
Alison is recognized as a leader in her field by such authorities as the WTR1000, Best Lawyers in Canada, Chambers Canada, and Lexpert. She is also noted as an ‘IP Star’ and listed as one of the ‘Top 250 Women in IP’ by Managing Intellectual Property.