Please note: Wendy Berman is on leave with the Ontario Securities Commission until 2022.
Wendy Berman* serves as the Chair of the Securities Litigation Group at Cassels. Wendy has extensive experience in complex commercial and securities-related litigation, often involving parallel and cross-border regulatory, criminal and class action proceedings. She regularly provides strategic advice and representation to companies and their directors and officers in all aspects of matters relating to allegations of corporate misconduct, including internal and external investigations. Wendy has represented public companies and directors and officers in some of Canada’s largest investigations and proceedings involving disclosure violations, insider trading and other fraud-related allegations, corruption and anti-bribery, shareholders’ remedies, litigation aspects of proxy contests, take-over bids and other acquisitions, corporate governance (including directors’ and officers’ liability) and securities class actions. Wendy is recognized as one of Canada’s leading securities litigators by such authorities as Chambers Canada, the Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, and Best Lawyers in Canada.
Wendy’s experience includes representing:
- A public resource company in litigation and regulatory aspects of a contested proxy contest for control of the board of directors
- A founding shareholder in successfully contesting a multi-billion-dollar acquisition transaction
- A public financial services company in a securities class action and regulatory investigation (with parallel US class action) alleging various financial and other disclosure violations
- A public mining company in litigation and regulatory aspects of a hostile takeover bid
- A public gold resource company in a securities class action (with parallel US class action) alleging misleading and inaccurate financial and operation disclosure in various public filings and statements
- A senior officer of a public resource company in an internal and external police and securities regulatory investigation involving disclosure violations and allegations of foreign corrupt practices
In 2013, Wendy received the Lexpert Zenith Award honouring leading women lawyers and was the Canadian recipient of the International Law Office (ILO) Client Choice Award for exceptional legal work and client service in the category of litigation in both 2010 and 2011. She has also been honoured as one of the “Top 25 Canadian Women in Litigation” by Benchmark Litigation on multiple occasions, and is described by clients as “sensible, innovative and hard-working.”
Wendy co-authored of the Canada chapter of The International Investigations Review (5th Edition), published by Law Business Research Ltd. in July 2015 and is a contributor to the firm’s annual Canadian Securities Litigation Outlook publication.
*denotes Professional Corporation