Sherri Fountain is a partner in the Mergers & Acquisitions Group at Cassels. Sherri is an accomplished practitioner and lead advisor to large corporate clients and has managed substantial and diverse legal teams in the successful delivery of sophisticated solutions. She offers a wealth of experience advising Canadian, US and international clients with complex corporate transactions across a range of sectors including oil and gas exploration and development, real estate, road transportation, oilfield services, and downstream oil and gas operations. Sherri also has extensive experience with asset and share acquisitions and dispositions, governance and business combination structures, project development and financing, joint ventures, partnerships and management arrangements, real estate acquisitions and dispositions and real estate/asset-backed commercial lending.
Sherri’s representative work includes having acted for:
- Canadian Natural Resources Limited as lead counsel respecting its acquisition of substantially all of the assets of Devon Canada Corporation for $3.775 billion
- Canadian Natural Resources Limited as lead counsel respecting its takeover bid acquisition of all of the issued and outstanding shares of Laricina Energy Ltd.
- One of the world’s leading integrated oil and gas companies with respect to its entry into Canada in the downstream space
- Suncor Energy Inc. as lead counsel respecting the sale of its $1 billion conventional portion of its natural gas business in Western Canada to Centrica plc and Qatar Petroleum International
- Shell Canada as lead counsel respecting the combination of the commercial road transportation businesses of Shell Canada Products and Flying J Canada Inc. in Canada
- An Owner Consortium on the Terra Nova Development Project, an offshore oil development project having estimated pre-production development costs of $2 billion and estimated capital and operating costs (excluding transportation) of $3-$4 billion, including negotiation and drafting of agreements relating to the fiscal regime with the Province of Newfoundland, an alliance agreement with the Grand Banks Alliance, a development and operating agreement, inter-owner security and drilling contracts
Prior to joining Cassels, Sherri was the Managing Director of a private investment fund and earlier practised as a partner of a major national law firm where she was a member of the firm’s Executive Committee and Opinions Committee. Sherri was a lecturer at the University of Calgary Faculty of Law where she taught Advanced Land Transactions to upper year students.