Ross Ramgoolam is a partner in the Real Estate & Development Group at Cassels. Ross’ practice is focused on commercial real estate sales and acquisitions, commercial financing, and secured lending transactions involving commercial office and industrial buildings, warehouses, vacant and development lands, shopping plazas and malls, gas stations, hotels, cannabis nurseries, multi-unit residential apartment buildings, and long-term care homes. Ross also has experience representing governmental agencies in connection with various real estate matters including the purchase and sale of vacant, residential, industrial, and commercial properties.
Ross obtained his B.A. (Honours) from York University and subsequently earned his J.D., from Western Michigan University, Thomas M. Cooley Law School, graduating magna cum laude. Ross was called to the New York State bar in 2010, the Ontario bar in 2012, and is a member of the American Bar Association, the New York State Bar Association, and the Canadian Bar Association.
Ross’s experience includes representing:
- A national lender in connection with a mortgage financing transaction in the amount of $116 million facilitating the portfolio acquisition of 14 commercial properties comprising shopping plazas and office buildings located in southern Ontario
- A Canadian mortgage services company in connection with an international cannabis company’s $6.5 million equity repatriation and construction financing of its cannabis nursery located in Mississauga, Ontario
- A property investment company in connection with a $298 million sale of 10 residential apartment buildings located in Kitchener, Mississauga, and Toronto, Ontario as well as its $70 million purchase of four residential apartment buildings in Toronto and Brockville, Ontario
- Several national lenders in connection with a $140 million mortgage assumption transaction for a multi-national owner and operator of senior living residences involving 15 properties throughout Ontario
- A Canadian Schedule I Bank with respect to a $38 million mortgage assumption transaction relating to an office tower located in Toronto, Ontario
- A private Ontario corporation in connection with its $104 million purchase of Toronto shopping mall with over 66,000 square feet of retail space
- A limited partnership in connection with its $24.5 million sale of an eight-storey hotel located in Toronto, Ontario
- A public sector investor in connection with construction financing in the amount of $198 million with respect to three multi-level residential condominium buildings located in Toronto, Ontario
Ross’ articles and publications include:
- “Lending Transactions and Commercial Leases – Postponements, Tenant Estoppels, and Non-Disturbance Agreements”, 2019
- “Land Transfer Tax: Transfers Between Spouses, Family Members and Non-Arm’s Length Parties”, 2015
- “Corporate Law in Canada” (co-author), Consulegis – International Network of Law Firms Handbook by Hoecherl, Marlies. (2012). International Corporate Structures, ISBN 978-3-9815206-0-6, 153-167.