Noelle Engle-Hardy is an associate in the Intellectual Property Group at Cassels. Noelle has broad experience in various aspects of intellectual property, including trademark, copyright, industrial design, digital media, and marketing and advertising law. Noelle’s practice focuses on intellectual property disputes and litigation. She has appeared before the Federal Court, the Federal Court of Appeal, and the courts of Ontario and is currently acting as counsel in multiple proceedings before the Copyright Board of Canada. Noelle is also a registered trademark agent. She provides opinions on the availability of new trademarks, prosecutes trademark applications, conducts opposition and cancellation proceedings before the Trademarks Opposition Board, advises clients on protection and enforcement strategies, and counsels clients on the intellectual property aspects of commercial transactions. She also advises clients on regulatory compliance with advertising and marketing, alcohol labeling and licensing, and product packaging in Canada.
Noelle’s experience includes:
- Acting as litigation counsel in trademark, copyright, and patent infringement actions in the Ontario and Federal Courts
- Acting as Canadian trademark litigation counsel in multi-jurisdictional litigation on behalf of international cosmetics and luxury brands
- Acting as counsel in trademark opposition and cancellation proceedings before the Federal Court, the Federal Court of Appeal, and the Trademarks Opposition Board
- Prosecuting trademark applications before the Canadian Intellectual Property Office as a registered trademark agent
- Providing opinions to clients on trademark availability and registrability
- Negotiating and drafting trademark licensing agreements and intellectual property provisions of cross border and domestic commercial licence agreements;
- Acting as counsel in chemical patent litigation, with a focus on the preparation and review of chemical expert witness reports and related evidence
- Assisting clients with industrial design and patent enforcement strategy
Noelle received her LL.M. from the University of Toronto and graduated cum laude from the DePaul University College of Law, where she served on the Jessup International Moot Court team and as editor of the DePaul Journal of Women, Gender and Law. While at DePaul, Noelle also was a three-time recipient of the Dean’s Merit Scholarship. She holds a B.A.Sc. from McGill University in Biomedical Science, with a focus on microbiology and immunology.
Prior to joining Cassels, Noelle worked as an associate in the Toronto office of a highly-regarded boutique IP firm.