Nicola Geary is a partner in the Business Law Group at Cassels. Nicola’s practice emphasizes private corporate transactions, including mergers & acquisitions, private equity, venture capital, corporate reorganizations and corporate finance. Nicola has extensive experience in domestic and cross-border transaction across various industries. Her experience includes acting for investors, founders, issuers, and underwriters in corporate finance transactions, including private placements, private equity and venture capital financings, acquisitions (including strategic, new platform and tuck-in) and dispositions. Nicola also offers valuable expertise in the formation of, and investment in, private equity funds as well as experience in advising funds making downstream investments.
Nicola’s recent experience includes representing:
- Serent Capital in respect of its equity investment in KEV Group
- MobileKlinik in respect of its private placement financing led by Valinor Private Capital Partners
- Kraus Group of Companies in respect of the sale of substantially all of its assets related to the hard surface and carpet tile distribution business to Q.E.P. Co., Inc. as part of a Companies Creditor’s Arrangement Act proceeding
- OnDeck in respect of the creation of corporate joint venture with Evolocity Financial Group
- Obero Solutions in connection with the sale of its sales performance management business to Xactly Canada, Inc., a portfolio company of Vista Equity Partners
Nicola was called to the Ontario Bar in 2004 and the New York State Bar in 2001. She qualified as a solicitor in England and Wales in 2003 and practised as a solicitor at a premier UK private equity law firm. Prior to joining Cassels, Nicola has worked in-house at The Bank of Montreal, BlackBerry, the private equity investment arm of a Canadian pension fund, as well as in the Toronto office of another national law firm.