Laurie Livingstone* is a partner in the Litigation Group at Cassels. Laurie’s practice focuses on administrative law, appellate advocacy, and complex commercial litigation. She offers extensive experience in election law, contract disputes, director and officer liability matters, and representing regulated companies in disputes regarding legislative interpretation. Laurie also has nearly two decades of experience advising political parties, religious organizations, universities, regulators, athletes, and sport associations on internal governance and discipline matters. She has appeared before the all levels of court across Canada, before administrative tribunals, and before a royal commission of inquiry.
Representative work includes:
- Trost v. Conservative Party of Canada, 2018 ONSC 2230 (Div. Ct) and 2018 ONSC 2733 (Div. Ct.), leave to appeal denied (M49223) September 21, 2018 (represented a federal political party and had a judicial review application by a former leadership contestant)
- Pembina Pipeline Corp. v. CCS Corp., 2013 ABQB 34, aff’d 2014 ABCA 390 (represented a pipeline corporation in case involving joint ventures, trade secrets, and fiduciary duties)
- Catholic Charities Clothes Bank of Lethbridge v. Roman Catholic Diocese of Calgary, 2012 ABCA 390 (represented a religious organization at first instance and on appeal in a dispute regarding the ownership of real property)
- Roorda v MacIntyre, 2010 ABCA 156 (represented the respondents in an appeal regarding the fiduciary duties of joint venture participants.)
- In re Marriages Cases (Marriages Cases II), 49 Cal. Rptr. 3d 675 (Ct. App. 2006) (pro bono counsel to amici curaie in case involving same-sex marriage rights in the State of California)
In addition to her courtroom work, Laurie is regularly called on to provide strategic advice on litigation and potential litigation, legal crisis management, and devil’s advocate services to pressure test litigation strategy.
Laurie recently served as a member of the Alberta Electoral Boundaries Commission and is presently a member of the Board of Directors of Calgary Legal Guidance, a not-for-profit legal clinic located in downtown Calgary.
*denotes Professional Corporation