Larry Ellis is a partner in the Restructuring & Insolvency Group at Cassels. Larry has extensive experience in both the litigation and commercial aspects of corporate restructurings, bankruptcies, receiverships, work-outs and enforcement of creditors’ rights and remedies. He represents a number of different parties, including purchasers, secured and unsecured creditors, receivers, debtors, monitors, trustees and lending syndicates.
Larry’s representative work includes having acted for:
- Hilco (UK) Ltd. in its purchase of $130 million of the Kraus Group’s debt and security from three secured lenders
- Home Trust Company in relation to the ongoing Canadian restructuring of Blockbuster Canada Co.
- The board of the United Kingdom Pension Protection Fund and the trustees for the Nortel Networks UK Pension Trust Limited in the multibillion dollar restructuring of Nortel Networks Limited
- Kobe Steel Limited, one of Japan’s most significant industrial concerns, in the reorganization proceedings of Newfoundland and Labrador Refining Corporation, one of the largest oil refineries ever to be constructed in Eastern North America
- Court appointed receivers/officers in the following recent matters: Delta Graphics, Triwest Construction, True Bend Tobacco and Connex See Services
Larry is a member of the American Bankruptcy Institute, INSOL International, the Turnaround Management Association, the Insolvency Law Section of the Ontario Bar Association, the Toronto Lawyers Association, the Canadian Insolvency Foundation and the Canadian Bar Association. He is scheduled to be an instructor at the University of Toronto’s Law School bar preparation course. Larry is the Program Chair for the III NextGen Leadership Program Class I Program (a program designed to enhance the Next Generation of leading insolvency professionals’ understanding of international insolvencies and restructurings) running in conjunction with the 12th Annual Insolvency Conference in Paris, France.