Lance Williams is a partner in the Banking & Specialty Finance Group, where he specializes in restructuring & insolvency and commercial finance. Lance has been involved in numerous significant insolvency files and commercial finance transactions in multiple jurisdictions. Lance’s practice includes advising and representing trustees, debtors, directors and creditors on insolvency and restructuring issues including debt restructuring, corporate reorganizations, plans of arrangement, loan workouts, fraudulent preference actions, foreclosures, bankruptcies, and receiverships. Lance is frequently involved in proceedings pursuant to the Companies’ Creditors Arrangement Act and the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act and has particular experience regarding restructurings involving: technology and intellectual property, mining, forestry, cannabis, oil and gas, retail operations, real estate and agriculture. In commercial finance, Lance often advises borrowers and lenders on domestic and multi-jurisdictional loans. He acts for major financial institutions, mezzanine lenders and distressed lenders on asset-backed loan, real estate financing, acquisition financing, debtor-in-possession (DIP) financing and syndicated loans.
Lance’s representative experience includes acting for:
- The court-appointed Monitor in the restructuring of the Ascent group of companies, Canada’s first cannabis restructuring under the Companies’ Creditors Arrangement Act
- A national coffee retailer and roaster in its successful restructuring, reorganization and recapitalization
- A prominent glass design manufacturer in its reorganization and integration into a prominent international manufacture
- The Government of the Northwest Territories in relation to the restructuring of North American Tungsten Corporation Ltd., a major tungsten mining operation in the Northwest Territories and Yukon
- Counsel to the syndicate lead in a $100 million credit facility to a nationwide private mortgage lender
- Counsel to a Schedule I chartered bank on numerous large construction projects by a prominent construction company
- Counsel to a Schedule I chartered bank on credit facilities to a national private lender
As a member of the bars of British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Yukon, Lance regularly advises clients on multi-jurisdictional matters and appears in the courts of British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan and the Yukon.