John Picone is a partner in the Litigation Group at Cassels. His practice focuses on complex securities, corporate, and commercial litigation, with an emphasis on shareholder disputes, oppression claims, class actions, and regulatory investigations. John takes a strategic, analytical, and practical approach to highly complicated disputes, while focusing on business needs and the big picture. He has extensive experience representing public and private corporations, directors and senior executives, and shareholders in the financial services, cannabis, infrastructure, and mining sectors. John has appeared as counsel before the Supreme Court of Canada, the Court of Appeal for Ontario, the Ontario Superior Court of Justice, the Ontario Securities Commission, and other commissions and tribunals.
John has recently acted for the following clients:
- The former directors of Sears Canada in complex litigation before the Ontario Superior Court of Justice (Commercial List)
- The CEO of a TSX-listed issuer in high-stakes regulatory proceedings before the Ontario Securities Commission
- Various public companies in the mining sector, and their directors and officers, in securities class actions before the Ontario Superior Court of Justice
- The Toronto Stock Exchange in review proceedings before the Ontario Securities Commission
- Numerous public companies in the cannabis sector in proceedings before the Ontario Superior Court of Justice and at arbitration