Jessica Lewis is an associate in the Litigation Group at Cassels. Jessica has a broad corporate and commercial litigation practice, with an emphasis on securities and regulatory matters, fraud and enforcement proceedings, corporate/commercial disputes and representation of financial institutions and investment advisors. She has experience with competition law class actions, international asset tracing, enforcement of foreign judgments and orders, letters rogatory and worldwide mareva injunctions. Jessica also represents clients in ligation proceedings involving fraud and breach of fiduciary duties. Jessica has appeared in front of the British Columbia Securities Commission, the British Columbia Supreme Court and the Supreme Court of Canada.
Articles Jessica has written during her career include:
- The Impact of Trump’s Travel Ban on Canadian Fintechs
- Highlights From the Annual Canadian Securities Administrators’ Enforcement Report
- Mind the Gap: Regulatory Frameworks Fintech Companies Can Use Right Now
- Western Union on the Hook for $586 Million for Aiding and Abetting Wire Fraud
- Fraud is Flourishing: Canada’s Regulatory Patchwork Paves Way for Financial Crimes
Jessica’s representative experience includes:
- Advising clients in technology and cryptocurrency industries including navigation and application of securities laws and regulation of ICOs and ITOs
- Representing financial institutions and investment advisors on issues involving errors and omissions liability.
- Representing resource companies on directors and officers liability and insurance matters.
- Representing national corporation on enforcement of foreign judgment, garnishment of accounts and seizure and sale of debtor’s assets
- Representing creditor to enforce judgment under the Court Order Enforcement Act
- Representing issuers and individual directors and officers in breach of fiduciary duty, misrepresentation and fraud proceedings, including Worldwide Mareva Injunctions, Norwich
- Application and Anton Piller proceedings
Jessica is a member of the Canadian Client Consultation Committee that regulates and oversees the Canadian law school moot for client interviewing. Jessica has also acted as a moot court judge for the first year moots at the Peter A. Allard School of Law and is a Board Member on the Peter A. Allard School of Law Alumni Association Board of Directors. She is the Chair of the Canadian Bar Association Securities Executive (BC Branch). Jessica is also the Secretary for the Vancouver chapter of the Women’s White Collar Defence Association. She also regularly conducts pro bono legal clinics through Access Pro Bono BC.