Jessica Kuredjian is an associate in the Litigation Group at Cassels. Jessica’s practice focuses on corporate commercial, civil and regulatory litigation. She prides herself on excellence, efficiency, responsiveness and candour. Jessica has appeared before all levels of court in Ontario, the Licensed Appeal Tribunal and the Financial Services Commission of Ontario. She has acted as first and second chair at trials in the Ontario Superior Court of Justice and arbitrations and has also argued many contested motions in the Ontario Superior Court of Justice, including motions for summary judgment. Jessica has also acted for clients on leave applications to the Supreme Court of Canada. She has presented on various topics for clients and at Continuing Legal Education programs and her writing has been featured in numerous publications.
Jessica’s selected representative work includes:
- True North Centre for Public Policy v. Canada (Leaders’ Debates Commission) 2019 FC 1424 (successful mandatory interlocutory injunction forcing the Leaders’ Debates Commission/Commission des Debats des Chefs to grant Andrew James Lawton of the True North Centre for Public Policy the media accreditation required to permit him to attend and cover the Federal Leaders’ Debates taking place on Monday, October 7, 2019 in the English language and Thursday, October 19, 2019 in the French language)
- Plaitis v. Balls of Fun Inc., 2018 ONSC 5126 (successful motion to resist amendments to Statement of Claim)
- Berwick v. Samis and Kozmik, 2018 ONSC 3663 (successful motion for summary judgment — court rules that a third-party defendant and plaintiff by counterclaim cannot maintain counterclaim and crossclaim for contribution and indemnity when there is no longer a claim for negligence against the defendants)
- Antony v. Bakthavachalu, 2017 ONSC 4943 (successful motion against plaintiff’s motion for refusals — court confirms statutory third party only needs to provide the reason(s) for its denial of coverage if there is no claim against an under/uninsured motorist insurer)
- Bruff-Murphy v. Gunawardena, 2017 ONCA 502 (court finds the trial judge failed to properly discharge his gatekeeper duty at the qualification stage by permitting expert witness to testify — new trial ordered — leave to Supreme Court of Canada denied)
- J.C v. State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company, Arbitration, Final Decision, FSCO 5339 (successful Arbitration regarding an applicant’s entitlement to post-104 Income Replacement Benefits)