Jane Dietrich* is a partner in the Restructuring & Insolvency Group at Cassels. The focus of Jane’s practice is on international and domestic commercial restructurings, insolvency, and related litigation. She has expertise in formal and informal corporate reorganizations, enforcement of security, and unsecured creditor remedies. A frequent writer and presenter on insolvency-related matters, Jane has participated as a speaker for numerous organizations including the Canadian Association of Insolvency and Restructuring Professionals, the Ontario Bar Association, the Law Society of Ontario, and the American Bankruptcy Institute. Jane also taught bankruptcy law at the University of Toronto, where she was an Adjunct Professor. Jane is a Fellow and lifetime member of INSOL International – the International Association of Restructuring, Insolvency & Bankruptcy Professionals. She also sits on the Board of Directors.
Jane’s representative work includes having acted for:
- Ernst & Young as court-appointed monitor of Rothmans Benson & Hedges Inc.
- Grant Thornton as court-appointed monitor of Toys “R” Us (Canada) Ltd.
- Payless ShoeSource Canada Inc. in connection with their worldwide restructuring
- The Board of Catalyst Paper in its successful repayment of all funded debt and acquisition by Paper Excellence
- Banro Corporation in connection with its cross-border restructuring
- Counsel to the Term DIP Lenders to Sears Canada Inc. in connection with its CCAA proceedings
Clients deem Jane to be “effective and astute” with a “results-oriented approach.” She is recognized as a leader in her field by such authorities as Chambers Global, Chambers Canada, and the Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory and has been honoured by the Toronto chapter of the Turnaround Management Association with a ‘Women of Excellence’ award.
*denotes Professional Corporation