James Morand is a partner serving as Chair of the Taxation Group at Cassels. James’ practice focuses on corporate tax, with particular expertise in reorganizations, M&A (private and public), asset securitization, REITs and dispute resolution. He acts for clients on innovative financial products, including income trusts, derivative instruments and asset securitizations. In addition, James offers considerable experience in the reorganization of financially troubled companies and has advised on many significant restructurings.
His recent experience includes representing:
- Canopy Growth in the implementation of a plan of arrangement to acquire US multi-state cannabis operator acreage holdings
- TerrAscend in its US$25 million private placement
- Advanced Presentation Products in its asset sale to One Diversified Audio Visual Canada
- Filo Mining in its $40 million financing
- Integra Resources in its $12.5 million non-brokered offering
James is consistently recognized as a leader in his field by the Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, Best Lawyers in Canada, and Chambers Global.