Deepak Gill* is a partner in the Securities Group at Cassels. Deepak advises public and private companies on general corporate and securities law issues, including with respect to corporate governance, mergers and acquisitions, strategic corporate development, complex agreements, capital market regulatory compliance, continuous disclosure obligations and stock exchange listings. His transactional experience includes domestic and international public and private company financings, going public transactions, joint venture transactions, takeover bids, statutory plans of arrangement, asset purchases and sales and corporate reorganizations. He has also acted for senior levels of government and Crown corporations with respect to procurement matters and the design and implementation of corporate resource management solutions. In 2015, Deepak was the sole Canadian practitioner recognized as being among the top 40 under 40 legal advisors by The M&A Advisor’s 6th Annual “40 Under 40 Emerging Leaders Awards.”
Deepak has worked with clients in a broad range of industries, including natural resources, renewable energy, power, technology, transportation, media, retail, telecom, hospitality and financial services. He often advises foreign enterprises with respect to entry-to-Canada matters.
Deepak’s representative work includes having acted for:
- Antofagasta plc in its US$1.005 billion cash acquisition of a 50% interest in the Zaldivar Copper Mine from Barrick Gold Corporation and its $96 million plan of arrangement with Duluth Metals Limited and for Antofagasta Minerals S.A. on numerous option and joint venture earn-in and strategic alliance transactions
- NIBE Industrier AB (publ) in its $378 million acquisition of Waterfurnace Renewable Energy, Inc.
- A geothermal energy companies in connection with the acquisition of significant portions of an Icelandic geothermal company and with a $575 million merger with a run-of-river and wind projects company
- A leading Canadian gold producer in connection with a $2.5 billion acquisition by way of plan of arrangement
- Several early to advanced stage technology companies in connection with various aspects of their corporate development, including formation, implementation of governance structures, shareholder arrangements and raising capital
He is the Corporate Secretary of Nickel Creek Platinum Corp., a Toronto Stock Exchange listed company, and of Lithium Americas Corp, a NYSE and Toronto Stock Exchange listed company. Following graduation from law school, Deepak completed a judicial clerkship at the federal Tax Court of Canada.
*denotes Law Corporation