Brigeeta Richdale* is a partner in the Litigation Group at Cassels, with a focus on securities litigation, regulatory matters and internal investigations. Brigeeta represents clients facing enforcement action by securities regulators and law enforcement at the investigative stage and throughout enforcement actions on matters involving allegations of securities fraud, insider trading, market manipulation, ponzi schemes, illegal distributions, discretionary trading and money laundering.
Brigeeta has extensive experience in guiding clients through complex disputes including private and public company litigation involving directors’ and officers’ liability and breach of fiduciary duties, hostile take-over bids and proxy fights, shareholder disputes, oppression and derivative proceedings and securities class actions.
Clients rely upon Brigeeta’s strategic advice regarding workplace investigations and compliance assessments. Brigeeta regularly assists clients with internal investigations and remediation programs related to cyber security breaches and unauthorized online and electronic disclosures.
Before joining Cassels, Brigeeta was a prosecutor in the Enforcement Department at the British Columbia Securities Commission, as well as a former Criminal Investigator, Certified Fraud Examiner and Special Provincial Constable. Brigeeta’s clients benefit from her extensive experience in investigations and enforcement proceedings before various Securities Commissions, the RCMP’s Commercial Crime division, and well as national and international agencies including Canada Revenue Agency, Internal Revenue Service, U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, Federal Bureau of Investigation, and Interpol.
Examples of Brigeeta’s work include representation of:
- Market participants facing enforcement action in regulatory and criminal proceedings
- Special Committees during transactions matters, Internal investigations, including whistleblower complaints
- Resource companies and Special Committees on directors and officer’s liability, regulatory matters, hostile take-over bids and proxy fights, shareholder disputes, oppression and derivative proceedings, and securities class actions
- Management requiring strategic advice on workplace investigations, compliance assessments and the remediation and prevention of cyber breaches
- Clients in technology and cryptocurrency industries including navigation and application of securities laws and regulation of ICOs and ITOs
- TSX, TSX-V, NYSE MKT listed companies in connection with contested plans of arrangement
Brigeeta regularly speaks at international conferences, continuing legal education seminars and at law schools on the topics of securities enforcement and fraud investigations.
*denotes Law Corporation