Alexander (Alex) Pizale is a partner in the Business Law Group at Cassels. Alex practices corporate and securities law with a focus on merger and acquisition, corporate finance and other corporate commercial transactions. He represents clients in a wide variety of industries, including mining, real estate, cannabis, blockchain and cryptocurrency. He acts as counsel to clients at all stages, from private start-ups to large cap public companies and investment banks in a wide range of domestic and cross-border transactions, including business combinations, take-over bids, public offerings, private placements, streaming transactions and stock exchange listings. He also advises issuers with respect to general corporate and securities law matters, including commercial agreements, continuous disclosure, compensation plans, corporate governance and stock exchange related matters.
Select merger and acquisition transactions include acting for:
- Yamana Gold Inc. in its US$1 billion sale of its Chapada mine to Lundin Mining Corp.
- Lundin Mining Corporation in its US$1.8 billion acquisition of the Candelaria Mining complex; and its $648 million gold and silver stream transaction with Franco-Nevada Corporation
- Hecla Mining Company in its $796 million acquisition of Aurizon Mines Ltd.
- Wheaton Precious Metals Corp. in its US$500 million acquisition of a gold and palladium stream from Sibanye Gold Limited’s Stillwater mining complex in Montana; its new precious metals purchase agreement with First Majestic Silver Corp. on the San Dimas mine following the completion of the plan of arrangement whereby First Majestic acquired Primero Mining Corp.; and its US$390 million acquisition of a cobalt stream from Vale S.A.’s Voisey’s Bay mine
- Yamana Gold Inc. in its metal purchase agreements with Sandstorm Gold Ltd. providing for an advance payment of $148 million; and its copper purchase agreements with Altius Minerals Corporation providing for an advance payment of $60 million